From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to do "account management" across multiple Unix boxes?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:04:41
1 On Wednesday 11 January 2006 13:51, matthew.garman@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Is there a term for the situation where you have one computer as the
3 > "user account master" and every other machine recognizes all user
4 > accounts that are specified on the master?
5 >
6 > I'm sure there's plenty of packages and documentation on how to do
7 > this, but I don't know what it's called, so I don't know where to
8 > start looking.
9 >
10 > Basically, I have one OpenBSD box and three gentoo boxes. I'd like
11 > to have the same user accounts on all of them, but not have to
12 > manually create them each time. Especially for dealing with Samba
13 > and NFS, it's nice to have consistent accounts.
14 >
15 > Given the name of a couple key packages and/or web links, I think I
16 > could figure the rest out.
17 openldap is one way
18 kerberos is another (don't pick this one)
19 nis or YP is another
20 I prefer openldap, but be warned, all of these methods are fairly non-trivial
21 depending on your experience level.
22
23 maybe there's a way to do it with sama as well?
24 >
25 > Thanks!
26 > Matt
27 >