From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's future directtion ?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 12:00:55
1 hasufell <hasufell <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > I still don't see a good argument why we made our system so inflexible,
5 > that obviously needed change needs such high amount of work, PR and proof.
6
7 I think that most folks appreciate your efforts and insightful ideas
8 on how to open up development, particularly in non-critical (non-core)
9 areas. The quesiton is how do we get from where we are to where we
10 want to be. I find most of what I'm interested in already in Arch Linux. I
11 wonder why it is so much easier for Arch users to create pkgbuilds (like
12 gentoo's ebuilds) and find a dev to adopt the package? Surely someone has
13 some insight on this differences, or do I miss something that creats the
14 difference? [1] I also find the Arch documentation to be of the finest
15 quality of any and all linux distros, close to gentoo. ymmv.
18 > Trying to improve a tiny fraction about gentoo workflow (including your
19 > attempts) already took more than 4(?) years with never ending excuses.
20 > The necessity was more than obvious.
21 > Now I could talk about similarly obvious things. Sure, not all issues
22 > are obvious and those shouldn't be easy to push through.
25 Everyone understands small changes and all changes take time for the
26 majority of members to digest, imho. Not everyone has your keen insight into
27 the problem/opportunity. So your patience in explanation, encouragement and
28 solicitation, is very important, if your idea is to be
29 implemented and tested. Naturally, Rich and other deeply involved devs, with
30 addtional responsibilities exude caution, to keep the gentoo stable.
31 They will not be the source of "team building" for your idea, imho.
34 > You can draw your conclusions about this. I drew mine: small changes
35 > will not get us out of here.
38 I think the jury is still out. So, why can't we test a transient plan
39 where we take something very broken areas at Gentoo (games or java or
40 sys-cluster) and test out your hypothesis for package development expansion?
41
42 In fact, I've been looking over quite a few ebuilds and pkgbuilds at (Arch
43 linux). [2] I see quite a lot of commonality. So, why can we not "modify"
44 this aforementioned "inflexible" system on gentoo to allow for Arch Linux
45 pkgbuilds to be routinely compiled and installed on gentoo?
46
47 Maybe limit the test to /usr/local/portage or /usr/local/portage/test/ so
48 folks can participate or purge the experiment? Maybe find some Arch linux
49 devs keen on the idea of developing/evolving package management so that
50 the two distros can readiy (or more easily) convert packages between
51 Arch and Gentoo? Is it possible? Could your plan be modified to
52 include a variety of Arch developers? Surely you have a collection
53 of devs ready to implement your keen ideas? I, for one realize something
54 fundamental has to change with Gentoo, after pushing a few months
55 on java and cluster codes.... Also, there is a vast array of software,
56 of various quality, among the overlay repositories to use as test-packages?
59 The biggest thing I seen wrong with Arch is they have forced systemd
60 onto their users, and all of the arch users I know, are not very
61 happy about that. So if you approach this correctly, I'm sure quite a
62 few Arch linux folks would also test your offerings.
63
64 > Have fun, if you can.
67 Always we should have fun. That is why we should deeply discuss these
68 issues to find common ground. Maybe fixing this inflexible system should
69 involve a survey of those distros closest to gentoo, for ideas, particulary
70 several (structured) methods to install packages, provide choices for the
71 init system, and strongly advocate package development within the
72 ranks of the user base. Clear and concise documentation, concurrent with
73 this effort is probably your single greatest alley, should your idea
74 and leadership prove successful.
77 hth,
78 James
81 [1] http://www.volkerschatz.com/unix/ebuilds/ebuilds.html