From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:46:03
1 On Thursday 06 August 2015 12:09:20 Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
2 > On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > First, btrfs balance. I had no idea that was needed, so of course I didn't
4 > > include it in my attempts. Could that be why, on booting, the kernel
5 > > couldn't mount the file system?
6 >
7 > I don't think that balancing an empty btrfs filesystem is necessary. It
8 > should have no effect at this point and would not affect the kernel's
9 > ability to mount the btrfs volume.
10
11 So that won't have been my problem then.
12
13 > > Second, --xattrs on the tarball extraction. I haven't seen this
14 > > recommended
15 > > before, and I wonder what extra attributes are needed for btrfs.
16 >
17 > This is part of the normal installation procedure and is not specific to
18 > btrfs. See [1]. For all I know this has always been part of the
19 > installation.
20
21 Well, as I said, I've never seen it before.
22
23 > > Third, why do you do your kernel compiling in /var/tmp/linux? It seems
24 > > like
25 > > extra work and I can't see a reason for it.
26 >
27 > The kernel developers recommend to __never__ compile the kernel as root.
28 > You never know when something like `rm -rf /` might creep into the
29 > Makefile ;)
30
31 Is that a real fear, or paranoia gone to extremes? :-)
32
33 > > Finally, can I assume that your procedure would work just as well
34 > > installing into, say, /dev/sd[ab]4?
35 >
36 > Yep, but as stated by Rich there isn't much to a btrfs raid 1 install
37 > aside from mkfs.btrfs, building btrfs support into the
38 > kernel, the slightly different fstab entry, and using an initramfs (dracut
39 > makes it easy).
40
41 I've done all those things several times in the past week or two and come up
42 against a kernel panic every time.
43
44 > I do recommend that you try it in a virtual machine first.
45
46 Good idea. I'll do that. Restoring the original system has been a nuisance
47 each time, what with md raid 1, lvm2 and so on. Creating a 500GB md device
48 seems to take for ever.
51 Rgds
52 Peter