From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 10:09:32
1 On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > First, btrfs balance. I had no idea that was needed, so of course I didn't
3 > include it in my attempts. Could that be why, on booting, the kernel couldn't
4 > mount the file system?
5
6 I don't think that balancing an empty btrfs filesystem is necessary. It
7 should have no effect at this point and would not affect the kernel's
8 ability to mount the btrfs volume.
9
10 > Second, --xattrs on the tarball extraction. I haven't seen this recommended
11 > before, and I wonder what extra attributes are needed for btrfs.
12
13 This is part of the normal installation procedure and is not specific to
14 btrfs. See [1]. For all I know this has always been part of the
15 installation.
16
17 > Third, why do you do your kernel compiling in /var/tmp/linux? It seems like
18 > extra work and I can't see a reason for it.
19
20 The kernel developers recommend to __never__ compile the kernel as root.
21 You never know when something like `rm -rf /` might creep into the
22 Makefile ;) The portage unpacked kernel sources belong to root:root so
23 Rich's method compiles them in /var/tmp/linux which can be done as the
24 local user.
25
26 > Finally, can I assume that your procedure would work just as well installing
27 > into, say, /dev/sd[ab]4?
28
29 Yep, but as stated by Rich there isn't much to a btrfs raid 1 install
30 aside from mkfs.btrfs, building btrfs support into the
31 kernel, the slightly different fstab entry, and using an initramfs (dracut
32 makes it easy).
33
34 I do recommend that you try it in a virtual machine first. With an
35 initramfs it worked out of the box for me but I wasn't able to get it to
36 work with just the kernel command line.
37
38 [1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Unpacking_the_stage_tarball