From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing BTRFS on MBR with OpenRC
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 08:49:37
1 On Thursday 06 August 2015 12:09:20 Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
2 > On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > First, btrfs balance. I had no idea that was needed, so of course I didn't
4 > > include it in my attempts. Could that be why, on booting, the kernel
5 > > couldn't mount the file system?
6 >
7 > I don't think that balancing an empty btrfs filesystem is necessary. It
8 > should have no effect at this point and would not affect the kernel's
9 > ability to mount the btrfs volume.
10
11 I'm part-way through a VM installation, and when I ran btrfs balance it told
12 me it had "moved 6 out of 6 chunks" so I guess it does have an effect.
13
14 --->8
15
16 > > Finally, can I assume that your procedure would work just as well
17 > > installing into, say, /dev/sd[ab]4?
18 >
19 > Yep, but as stated by Rich there isn't much to a btrfs raid 1 install
20 > aside from mkfs.btrfs, building btrfs support into the
21 > kernel, the slightly different fstab entry, and using an initramfs (dracut
22 > makes it easy).
23
24 The arrangement I have in mind is sd[ab]1 raid-1 /boot, sd[ab]2 swap, sd[ab]3
25 rescue system, sd[ab]4 btrfs gentoo. Maybe I could get away without swap since
26 this box has 16GB RAM, but I'm not ready to do without my rescue system.
27
28 > I do recommend that you try it in a virtual machine first. With an
29 > initramfs it worked out of the box for me but I wasn't able to get it to
30 > work with just the kernel command line.
31
32 I'll let you know when I've finished building the VM and tried to boot it.
33 Thanks for your help.
36 Rgds
37 Peter