From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice build failed.
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 06:16:23
1 Tuesday 30 May 2006 07:41 skrev Graham Murray:
2 > > Besides, by looking at the terminal while merging packages, you will
3 > > soon notice, that lot's of packages add their very own CFLAGS to your
4 > > default ones. For example mplayer or xine-lib was compiled with '-O3' on
5 > > my system, allthough i have '-O2' in my CFLAGS. (As far as i know, "gcc
6 > > -O3 -O2" == "gcc -O3").
7 >
8 > Where packages do this, should they not filter out the appropriate
9 > flags from the user's CFLAGS and substitute their flags rather than
10 > having both flags on the command line?
11
12 Not in this particular case. xine-lib is a good example. src_compile()
13 contains the following in the ebuild (and more):
14
15 if [[ $(tc-arch) == "x86" ]]; then
16 filter-flags -fforce-addr
17 filter-flags -momit-leaf-frame-pointer
18 is-flag -O? || append-flags -O2
19 fi
20
21 On an x86 architecture it filters out -fforce-addr
22 and -momit-leaf-frame-pointer. If the CFLAGS contain any optimizations it
23 just appends -O2 yielding that -O2 will be used as stated by Christian
24 Limberg. In 'man gcc' you find the following statement:
25
26 "If you use multiple -O options, with or without level numbers, the last such
27 option is the one that is effective."
28
29 So this is completely legal.
30
31 And I very much doubt that there are any ebuilds in the portage tree that
32 enforces -O3 or higher...
35 Bo Andresen