From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 07:55:14
1 On 11/10/2013 09:54, Steven J. Long wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:04:38AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 29/09/2013 23:41, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>>> On 29/09/2013 18:33, Dale wrote:
6 >>>>>> that gnome is very hostile when it comes to KDE or choice is not news.
7 >>>>>>> And their dependency on systemd is just the usual madness. But they are
8 >>>>>>> not to blame for seperate /usr and the breakage it causes.
9 >>>>> If not, then what was it? You seem to know what it was that started it
10 >>>>> so why not share?
11 >>>>>
12 >>>> He already said it. Someone added a hard disk to a PDP-9 (or was it an 11?)
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Literally. It all traces back to that. In those days there was no such
15 >>>> thing as volume management or raid. If you added a (seriously expensive)
16 >>>> disk the only feasible way to get it's storage in the system was to
17 >>>> mount it as a separate volume.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> >From that one single action this entire mess of separate /usr arose as
20 >>>> folks discovered more and more reasons to consider it good and keep it
21 >>>> around
22 >
23 > Yes you elide over that part, but it's central: there were more and more
24 > reasons to consider it good, and to use it. You said it.
25 >
26 > They haven't gone away just because some prat's had a brainwave and needs a
27 > lie-down, not encouragement. In fact most of them are touted as "USPs" in the
28 > propaganda we get told is a reasoned argument for ditching all our collective
29 > experience.
30 >
31 >>>
32 >>> That wasn't the question tho. My question wasn't about many years ago
33 >>> but who made the change that broke support for a seperate /usr with no
34 >>> init thingy. The change that happened in the past few years.
35 >>>
36 >>> I think I got my answer already tho. Seems William Hubbs answered it
37 >>> but I plan to read his message again. Different thread tho.
41 >> Nobody "broke" it.
42 >>
43 >> It's the general idea that you can leave /usr unmounted until some
44 >> random arb time later in the startup sequence and just expect things to
45 >> work out fine that is broken.
46 >>
47 >> It just happened to work OK for years because nothing happened to use
48 >> the code in /usr at that point in the sequence.
49 >
50 > Actually because people put *thinking* into what things were needed in early
51 > boot and what were not. In fact *exactly the same* thinking that goes into
52 > sorting out an initramfs. Only you don't need to keep syncing it, and you
53 > don't need to worry about missing stuff. Or you never used to, given a
54 > reasonably competent distro. Which was half the point in using one.
55 >
56 > Thankfully software like agetty deliberately has tight linkage, and it's
57 > simple enough to move the two or three things that need it to rootfs; it's
58 > even officially fine as far as portage is concerned (though I do get an
59 > _anticipated_ warning on glibc upgrades.)
60 >
61 >> More and more we are
62 >> seeing that this is no longer the case.
63 >>
64 >> So no-one broke it with a specific commit.
65 >
66 > True enough. Cumulative lack of discipline is to blame, although personally
67 > I blame gmake's insane rewriting of lib deps before the linker even sees
68 > them, that makes $+ a lot less useful than it should be, and imo led to a
69 > general desire not to deal with linkage in the early days of Linux, that
70 > never went away.
71 >
72 >> It has always been broken by
73 >> design becuase it's a damn stupid idea that just happened to work by
74 >> fluke.
75 >
76 > *cough* bullsh1t.
77 >
78 >> IT and computing is rife with this kind of error.
79 >
80 > Indeed: and even more rife with a history of One True Way. So much so
81 > that it's a cliche. Somehow it's now seen as "hip" to be crap at your
82 > craft, unable to recognise an ABI, and cool to subscribe to "N + 1"
83 > True Way, as that's an "innovation" on the old form of garbage.
84 >
85 > And yet GIGO will still apply, traditional as it may be.
86
87 I have no idea what you are trying to communicate or accomplish with this.
88
89 All I see in all your responses is that you are railing against why
90 things are no longer the way they used to be.
95 Alan McKinnon
96 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com