From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Flexibility and robustness in the Linux organisim
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:16:25
1 On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 09:50:05AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 11/10/2013 09:54, Steven J. Long wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 12:04:38AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > >> On 29/09/2013 23:41, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > >>>> >From that one single action this entire mess of separate /usr arose as
7 > >>>> folks discovered more and more reasons to consider it good and keep it
8 > >>>> around
9 > >
10 > > Yes you elide over that part, but it's central: there were more and more
11 > > reasons to consider it good, and to use it. You said it.
12 > >
13 <snip>
14
15 > >> It has always been broken by
16 > >> design becuase it's a damn stupid idea that just happened to work by
17 > >> fluke.
18 > >
19 > > *cough* bullsh1t.
20 > >
21 > >> IT and computing is rife with this kind of error.
22 > >
23 > > Indeed: and even more rife with a history of One True Way. So much so
24 > > that it's a cliche. Somehow it's now seen as "hip" to be crap at your
25 > > craft, unable to recognise an ABI, and cool to subscribe to "N + 1"
26 > > True Way, as that's an "innovation" on the old form of garbage.
27 > >
28 > > And yet GIGO will still apply, traditional as it may be.
29 >
30 > I have no idea what you are trying to communicate or accomplish with this.
31
32 Oh my bad, I thought this was an informal discussion. On a formal level, I
33 was correcting your assumption, presented as a fact, that the only reason root
34 and /usr split has worked in the past is some sort of fluke.
35
36 Further your conflation of basic errors in software design with a "solution"
37 to anything at all: the same problems still go on wrt initramfs, only now
38 the effort is fractured into polarised camps.
39
40 > All I see in all your responses is that you are railing against why
41 > things are no longer the way they used to be.
42
43 That's just casting aspersions, so I'll treat it as beneath you.
44
45 It's certainly beneath me.
46 --
47 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)