From: KH <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Anyone tried a solid state drive?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:37:11
1 Joerg Schilling schrieb:
2 > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> I'm considering buying a solid-state drive to improve I/O performance
6 >> and even reduce noise. Has anyone tried this? I was considering
7 >> getting the lowest capacity I can find and putting most of the system
8 >> on it. There is a roundup on tomshardware.com and it sounds like some
9 >> are very much better than others. SLC sounds vastly superior compared
10 >> to MLC, but also much more expensive.
13 > I yesterday send some test results.... If you use a UFS clone like ext,
14 > you will not get much better speed. You should use ZFS or another COW
15 > filesystem that tries to write bigger blocks in order to avoid high latencies.
16 >
17 > I recommend Intel or OCZ. Other SSDs have been reported as slow
18 >
19 > I tested OCZ
20 >
21 > Jörg
24 Hi
25
26 this German article says that AXFS will be available up from kernel
27 2.6.28. This is a new file system named for its main future: Advanced
28 Execute in Place Filesystem. This means the CPU can execute stuff from
29 the ssd without loading it to ram, first. As far as I understand there
30 is an upside. It is a read only file system you need to create for every
31 program. I am not the geek in that but I wanted to mention it. Oh and it
32 does not work if you connect your ssd by ata or usb.
33
34 http://www.pro-linux.de/news/2008/13093.html
35
36 kh