From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can I send email under linux terminal?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:22:28
1 On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:56:00 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Lavender <lavender_matrix <at> 163.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > So whenever I want to write a email I have to reboot
7 > > my computer and boot the windows system. I'm thinking that
8 > > if I can send or receive mails just under terminal, no
9 > > need web pages or windows. Also at the same time could
10 > > I send mails though the mail server what I use right now under
11 > > terminal?
12 >
13 > A long time ago there was command line syntax called
14 > "mail". I have not used it in a long time, but I'm sure
15 > the old unix sources are around, but it may require
16 > sendmail to be installed. Dunno and my memory is
17 > not reliable that far back (hell, last week's memories are
18 > a stretch if you really want the truth)....
21 > Very useful for a variety of uses....
22 >
23 > I did find this in portage; it seems useful, but
24 > i Have never used this package....
25 >
26 > Come to think about it, the old mail command line
27 > stuffage may have been BSDish, but too foggy to
28 > recall the details......
29
30 mail is awesome and still very much around. I have versions called
31 mailx, nail and a few others too - it's wonderful for sending mail from
32 cron scripts
36 Alan McKinnnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com