From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 23:40:11
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 05/23/2014 12:50 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Hi. Well, I thought I was making progress with systemd, but my gnome
5 > > session kept saying "oh no something has gone wrong" and would not
6 > > work. Also, after such a thing has happened, all my consoles would keep
7 > > using the last line to put every line and so I had to keep rebooting.
8 > > And when I would reboot systemd would not behave the same way, sometimes
9 > > it would hang at certain places, and sometimes it would go all the way
10 > > through, but things would not start properly -- maybe a concurrency
11 > > problem, but its hard to say what was going on. What a mess, but I
12 > > guess I have a setup which systemd does not like, too much parallellism
13 > > and no way to get things to start in the order I want them -- or at
14 > > least none I could figure out!
15 > >
16 > > I am open to suggestions here, and I have a log segment I can put
17 > > somewhere to illustrage the "oh no" problem, but I am getting tired of
18 > > the mess and if I can find something which works with orca I will do
19 > > that instead.
20 >
21 > I've spent many frustrating days fighting the "oh no" syndrome and I
22 > found two very annoying workarounds before I gave up on gnome3.
23 >
24 > First, the file ~/.gnomerc-errors may give you some good hints. Many
25 > of my "oh no" moments were caused by broken xorg 3D rendering support,
26 > i.e. broken video drivers, etc, etc.
27 >
28 > Second, many other "oh no" moments were caused by $SOME_MYSTERIOUS
29 > item in ~/.config or ~/.local suddenly rendered erroneous by a gnome3
30 > update.
31 >
32 > I found some of those problem items by renaming those two directories
33 > and starting with a completely blank gnome3 slate.
34 >
35 > If gnome-shell starts okay with the new tabla rasa then you can copy
36 > the old .local and .config subdirectories one by one into the new gnome
37 > environment until you can reproduce the original breakage. Repeat as
38 > needed.
39
40 Thanks for the hint --I have no ~/.gnomerc-errors -- I have a
41 .Xsession-errors, but it never told me anything useful.
42
43 I may try your other suggestion next time I have the courage to boot
44 into systemd.
48 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
49 How do
50 you spend it?
51
52 John Covici