From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 22:29:36
1 On 05/23/2014 12:50 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi. Well, I thought I was making progress with systemd, but my gnome
3 > session kept saying "oh no something has gone wrong" and would not
4 > work. Also, after such a thing has happened, all my consoles would keep
5 > using the last line to put every line and so I had to keep rebooting.
6 > And when I would reboot systemd would not behave the same way, sometimes
7 > it would hang at certain places, and sometimes it would go all the way
8 > through, but things would not start properly -- maybe a concurrency
9 > problem, but its hard to say what was going on. What a mess, but I
10 > guess I have a setup which systemd does not like, too much parallellism
11 > and no way to get things to start in the order I want them -- or at
12 > least none I could figure out!
13 >
14 > I am open to suggestions here, and I have a log segment I can put
15 > somewhere to illustrage the "oh no" problem, but I am getting tired of
16 > the mess and if I can find something which works with orca I will do
17 > that instead.
18
19 I've spent many frustrating days fighting the "oh no" syndrome and I
20 found two very annoying workarounds before I gave up on gnome3.
21
22 First, the file ~/.gnomerc-errors may give you some good hints. Many
23 of my "oh no" moments were caused by broken xorg 3D rendering support,
24 i.e. broken video drivers, etc, etc.
25
26 Second, many other "oh no" moments were caused by $SOME_MYSTERIOUS
27 item in ~/.config or ~/.local suddenly rendered erroneous by a gnome3
28 update.
29
30 I found some of those problem items by renaming those two directories
31 and starting with a completely blank gnome3 slate.
32
33 If gnome-shell starts okay with the new tabla rasa then you can copy
34 the old .local and .config subdirectories one by one into the new gnome
35 environment until you can reproduce the original breakage. Repeat as
36 needed.