From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:26:08
1 brullo nulla wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Daniel Pielmeier
3 > <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> 2008/12/2 b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com>:
6 >>
7 >>> May I ask why many people on MLs use to write links as footnotes instead
8 >>> that inside the mail text? I suspect it is some netiquette issue, but I
9 >>> can't find info on that and I find it mildly confusing.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >> Because http://some-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-long-link/some-page.html
13 >> looks terrible too?
16 > Not to me. I am accustomed to see links inside of text in webpages, so
17 > there is nothing strange in what you posted.
18 >
19 > Since it seems only an aestethic preference, I'll continue to post
20 > links in-text when appropriate (tinyurl'ing long links possibly).
21 >
22 > Thanks,
23 > m.
30 This reminds me of the text/html debate. If you put links in the body
31 and some guru that has the answer doesn't like links in the body, they
32 may not read your post and you could be left without a answer for a
33 while longer. Or worse yet, if it is some software that is rarely used,
34 they may be the only one here that uses the software and has the answer.
35
36 I prefer html messages myself but a lot of people here don't like them
37 so I send text. Some users even have filters that sends html to
38 /dev/null which means they don't ever even get seen or read. This is
39 something you may want to consider when you send something.
40
41 Also, I have ran into tinyurl not working or if I look up a old post, it
42 may have expired or something and the link goes nowhere. So guess what,
43 I don't click on tinyurl stuff much. Exceptions may be something that
44 is really huge. If you are attaching a 2Mb file, may want to post a
45 link to it instead. I have also been known to send it to someone off
46 list on request.
47
48 Thoughts to ponder.
49