From: brullo nulla <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user][ot] mail links as footnotes
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 18:15:35
1 > This reminds me of the text/html debate. If you put links in the body
2 > and some guru that has the answer doesn't like links in the body, they
3 > may not read your post and you could be left without a answer for a
4 > while longer. Or worse yet, if it is some software that is rarely used,
5 > they may be the only one here that uses the software and has the answer.
6
7 Well, I could do the same and erase any message with urls as
8 footnotes, since I dislike them. So it's the same thing, reversed.
9
10 Trashing emails just because they're not formatted as you like them is
11 a highly idiotic thing to do. I don't like top-posting for example,
12 but I do not trash top-posted mails -at worst, I explain the user why
13 top-posting looks bad.
14
15 > I prefer html messages myself but a lot of people here don't like them
16 > so I send text. Some users even have filters that sends html to
17 > /dev/null which means they don't ever even get seen or read. This is
18 > something you may want to consider when you send something.
19
20 I send text myself too usually (don't know when I'm using gmail from
21 the web like now).
22 However if I receive html mail, my mail client is set up to make it
23 look like it's only text, so I don't really see the difference.
24
25 > Also, I have ran into tinyurl not working or if I look up a old post, it
26 > may have expired or something and the link goes nowhere. So guess what,
27 > I don't click on tinyurl stuff much.
28
29 Good point. But again, while sending HTML mail to a non-HTML enabled
30 mail client results in annoying garbage(*), or while top posting can
31 make a long thread impossible to follow, there is no reason not to
32 read even a loooooong URL in the text flow. So using footnotes is
33 purely aestethical -and even if I agree it's more good-looking, it's
34 much less practical for my personal usage. So I want an ecosystem with
35 URLs in the text body, therefore I will use them :)
36
37 This does not mean I drop mails formatted in the other way in the
38 trashbin. This just means we live happily with the differences, and
39 let natural selection select what fits more.
40
41 (*)There is also to ponder the fact that I find quite amusing that
42 someone is using a non-HTML-enabled mail client in 2008, and I would
43 like to know about that. I don't like html mail myself, but *actively
44 refusing* to deal with it , it's something escaping my comprehension.
45
46 > Thoughts to ponder.
47
48 Surely, thanks.