From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching to hardened
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:25:20
1 Eric Martin writes:
2
3 > Dan Farrell wrote:
4 > > You might consider building packages but not installing them -- I think
5 > > could use --buildpkgonly (aka -B) to achieve this end. If the world
6 > > emerge with a -B flag finishes successfully, I think that means all
7 > > packages were built and you are ready to emerge world with --usepkgonly
8 > > (-K) without having to worry about build-time issues that could cause
9 > > conflicting packages on the system.
10 > >
11 > > But what does everyone else think?
12 >
13 > I like it. The only problem is it might not work in some situations
14 > where you need program A to compile program B (kde4 requires qt4). I've
15 > never gone from a non-hardened system -> hardened though so take my
16 > comments with a grain of salt. This could also work on other tricky
17 > upgrades.
18
19 Nice idea. Maybe next time... I already had started the migration.
20
21 And screwed up. I forgot about distcc being active, so some other boxes
22 helped in compiling, but they do not have the hardened profile, and thus no
23 hardened gcc. So, in fact nothing was compiled on the local machine.
24
25 I emerged -e again, this time without distcc and ccache. All compiled fine,
26 except for media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r1 (vf_decimate.c:26: error:
27 can't find a register in class `BREG' while reloading `asm') and
28 net-nntp/pan-0.132-r1, which claims to need about 300 more megabytes of
29 memory to compile.
30
31 I did not reboot yet as I am not near the machine, but so far things work
32 well. Mplayer is not needed on that machine anyway.
35 I then decided to harden my desktop PC, too. I want to get some experience
36 with the hardened setup, and I want that machine to be able to act as a
37 distcc server for another hardened machine which will be set up soon.
38
39 Here, also mplayer and some more packages failed.
40
41 x11-misc/xaos-3.2:
42 i386.c: In function `_control87':
43 i386.c:31: error: PIC register `bx' clobbered in `asm'
44 Solved by using the vanilla gcc.
45
46 x11-misc/xscreensaver-5.04:
47 lockward.c:59: error: syntax error before "uint8_t"
48
49 app-emulation/dosemu-1.3.3:
50 vga.c: In function `pcivga_init':
51 vga.c:493: error: `PCI_CLASS_DISPLAY_VGA' undeclared (first use in this
52 function)
53
54 mplayer: compiles with vanilla gcc.
55
56 But most annoying is that the nvidia drivers do not seem to work. First,
57 they refused to compile telling me that this would do more harm than good
58 with a hardened setup. I put them into packages.unmask, now they compile
59 and the nvidia module loads, but still X has no GLX, xorg.0.log
60 says "Failed to initialize GLX extension (NVIDIA X driver not found)",
61 glxinfo segfaults. I guess I will try to re-compile all X stuff with the
62 vanilla gcc.
63
64 Would it be possible to make these changes permanent, that is, can I tell
65 portage to compile specific packages with a specific
66 compiler? /etc/portage/package.compilerflavor or something?
67
68 If this makes things complicated, I think I will go back to a normal setup
69 at least for my desktop machine. Thre hardened gcc will stay for distcc
70 purposes (I will run two distccs on different ports, one for the hardened,
71 one for the vanilla gcc), but I prefer to have a system which will run
72 OpenGL.
73
74 Wonko
75 --