From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is anyone here using RTL8192CU wifi device in Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 15:59:28
1 On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> I recently bought a USB wifi adapter with RTL8192CU chipset. Drivers
8 >>> are available from Realtek's website, and are updated regularly (last
9 >>> month), but are not in the mainline Linux kernel or in the portage
10 >>> tree.
11 >>>
12 >>> Compiling and installing the drivers is not a problem, but every time
13 >>> I insert the USB adapter my computer freezes and no amount of
14 >>> magic-SysRq can get me out of it. I tried on 2 different Gentoo
15 >>> machines with the same result.
16 >>>
17 >>> The adapter works (poorly...) on a Windows XP machine, so I know the
18 >>> hardware is functional.
19 >>>
20 >>> Does anyone else here use these drivers?
21 >>
22 >> I'm not using this hardware, but have you seen this?
23 >>
24 >> http://amailbox.net/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/12/13/4658671
25 >
26 > Hi,
27 >
28 > Thanks for the pointer! While that firmware itself does nothing for me
29 > (the Realtek driver already includes the latest firmware in the source
30 > code), Googling Larry Finger's name along with this chipset led me to
31 > some other (and very recent) posts which tell me that this driver only
32 > works on 32-bit systems and that no functioning 64-bit driver is
33 > available. That's too bad. I suppose all I can do now is wait for
34 > Realtek to fix it and release a working driver.
35 >
36 > Thanks again.
37
38 Looks like Mr. Finger has submitted a driver for this device a couple
39 days ago, targeting inclusion in the 2.6.39 kernel. I'll have to give
40 it a try.
41
42 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/63851