From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is anyone here using RTL8192CU wifi device in Gentoo?
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:04:46
1 On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 26 January 2011 16:22:03 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I recently bought a USB wifi adapter with RTL8192CU chipset. Drivers
6 >> are available from Realtek's website, and are updated regularly (last
7 >> month), but are not in the mainline Linux kernel or in the portage
8 >> tree.
9 >>
10 >> Compiling and installing the drivers is not a problem, but every time
11 >> I insert the USB adapter my computer freezes and no amount of
12 >> magic-SysRq can get me out of it. I tried on 2 different Gentoo
13 >> machines with the same result.
14 >>
15 >> The adapter works (poorly...) on a Windows XP machine, so I know the
16 >> hardware is functional.
17 >>
18 >> Does anyone else here use these drivers?
19 >
20 > I'm not using this hardware, but have you seen this?
21 >
22 > http://amailbox.net/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/12/13/4658671
23
24 Hi,
25
26 Thanks for the pointer! While that firmware itself does nothing for me
27 (the Realtek driver already includes the latest firmware in the source
28 code), Googling Larry Finger's name along with this chipset led me to
29 some other (and very recent) posts which tell me that this driver only
30 works on 32-bit systems and that no functioning 64-bit driver is
31 available. That's too bad. I suppose all I can do now is wait for
32 Realtek to fix it and release a working driver.
33
34 Thanks again.