From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ipset needs to patch the kernel?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 03:16:49
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [15-08-05 17:32]:
2 > <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
5 > > I dont like the idea of patching the kernel in order to get some minor
6 > > user land tools to run...
7 >
8 > ipset has been integrated into the kernel::
9 >
10 > 'equery belongs ipset'
13 > so you are just 'enabling' it to work.
14 >
15 > > Are there any other ways to achieve the same ?
16 >
17 > Yes, but it's a ton more work::
18 >
19 > https://github.com/Olipro/ipset
22 > Note that those files have not been touched in a while. The files
23 > in all capitals are excellent reading to enhance your understanding
24 > of the options. I'd google for additional and newer information on ipset,
25 > until you are comfortable with what you are doing with ipset and sidmat.
26 > Sorry, I have no experience with sidmat directly.
29 > hth,
30 > James
36 Hi James,
37
38 thanks for your reply :)
39
40 I think the whole thing ipset consists of a kernel configuration
41 and a user tool, which is available via emerge. Unfortunately, emerge
42 still insists of patching the kernel, which is - according to your
43 informations - unnecessary.
44
45 I unemerged ipset with emerge, fetched a new version from the
46 internet, reconfigured the kernel accordingly, recompiled the
47 kernel and this weekend I hopefully will have time to taste
48 the soup... ;)
49
50 Best regards,
51 Meino