From: James` <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ipset needs to patch the kernel?
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2015 23:19:04
1 <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > I think the whole thing ipset consists of a kernel configuration
5 > and a user tool, which is available via emerge. Unfortunately, emerge
6 > still insists of patching the kernel, which is - according to your
7 > informations - unnecessary.
8
9 oops. I guess I was unclear. Configuring the kernel and rebuilding it
10 has the same effect as patching a version of the kernel before ipset
11 became part of the kernel sources. So 'patching' and 'configuring' the
12 kernel are pretty much the same thing. Look at how old that sidmat code
13 is. It may have last had the documents updated when ipset was a kernel
14 patch. Many things start out as a kernel patch, before being formally
15 assimilated into the kernel sources.
18 > I unemerged ipset with emerge, fetched a new version from the
19 > internet, reconfigured the kernel accordingly, recompiled the
20 > kernel and this weekend I hopefully will have time to taste
21 > the soup... ;)
22
23 Ah,
24
25 net-firewall/ipset is probably different than ipset in the kernel sources.
26
27 cd /usr/src/linux
28
29 # find -name ipset -print
30 ./net/netfilter/ipset
31 ./include/uapi/linux/netfilter/ipset
32 ./include/linux/netfilter/ipset
35 So I think we are talking about (2)different things. Maybe related maybe
36 just coincidence in names...... Sorry for the murky advice. Just dig
37 a bit.
38
39 http://ipset.netfilter.org/
40