From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does this drive need a funeral?
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:05:51
1 On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 02:47:27 PM Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Hi,
5 > >>
6 > >> For the first time in my life, I think I have a drive failing on me.
7 > >> Here>
8 > >> is the info:
9 > > <SNIP>
10 > >
11 > >> What you folks think? Can I fix it somehow? I got a good shovel
12 > >> handy just in case.
13 > >>
14 > >> Dale
15 > >
16 > > Start doing backups before you write even 1 more email! ;;-)
17 > >
18 > > - Mark
19 >
20 > Well, it was in my brothers winders rig. Winders couldn't do anything
21 > but puke on the keyboard so I brought it down here and put it in my old
22 > Linux rig. I mounted it ro and got the data off it FIRST THING.
23
24 Good idea...
25 MS Windows has a tendency not to be able to handle failing disks...
26
27 > There
28 > was a boatload of pictures from their camera. Anyway, the data seems to
29 > be safe tho a few may have gotten messed up. I got to test that in a bit.
30
31 If there were no read errors, any damaged files were caused by ms windows, not
32 the disk.
33
34 > Is this terminal or can something be done to correct this? I did run
35 > the dd command before I ran the selftest. I don't think it matters but
36 > thought it wouldn't hurt either. If it is terminal, I'll get my
37 > screwdriver out and see what these drives look like on the inside. The
38 > last one I looked into was a old 14" thing many years ago. Platters
39 > were about the size of 33 rpm records. lol Dang I'm old. O_O
40
41 If SMART is saying it will die in 24 hours it will make a nice doorstop :)
42
43 I wouldn't use it for data (even throw away stuff) anymore.
46 Joost