From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 13:54:26
1 Am Sat, Dec 17, 2022 at 12:49:01AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > > While ZFS has the same pooling feature as LVM, meaning you can bunch several
4 > > disks together to create a JBOD, it has one big disadvantage over LVM: you
5 > > can grow a pool, but not shrink it. Actually, while reading up on stuff for
6 > > this thread, I learned that these days it is actually possible to remove a
7 > > mirror vdev from a mirror-only pool (a mirror can technically also be a
8 > > single device). But according to
9 > > https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSWhyNoVdevRemoval
10 > > it’s not perfect either.
13 > One thing about LVM, I already know how to use it.  I've got notes on
14 > how to do things and it has worked.  With ZFS I'd have to learn it all
15 > over again plus it could confuse me with my using LVM on my main rig.
16 > In a way, if I build a Raspberry NAS, I'd like to have Linux and LVM on
17 > the thing.  At least then I have experience moving data and such.  Right
18 > now, I don't even have the basics of ZFS or BSD.  I'm not saying TrueNAS
19 > is bad or anything, just that I don't really care for the learning
20 > curve.  Then the confusion part on top of that.
21
22 The beauty of the WebUI is that it abstracts all of that away. You don’t
23 have to be in the know about the inner works and create pools and vdevs by
24 hand. Though it might be handy in case something breaks in an unexpected
25 way.
26
27 > I've read there are distros built for Raspberry thingys.  I'd be shocked
28 > if it isn't doable.  I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already done it
29 > even.
30
31 It’s called RaspberryPi OS (formerly knows as Raspbian). It has the kernel,
32 some start scripts and settings files that control which stuff to load at
33 boot. Pis boot differently to x86 hardware; there is no Grub & co.
34
35 I don’t particularly like Debian’s apt, which is why I’m also experimenting
36 with Arch on arm, Arch being my favorite distro for my everyday these days.
39 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
40 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
41
42 “Oh, gravity, thou art a heartless bitch.” – Dr. Sheldon Cooper