From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 06:49:09
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 09:50:01PM -0600 schrieb Dale:
3 >
4 >>> My point is: there is no need for a monitor. ;-)
5 >>>
6 >> I noticing that now.  Once the install is done and you have the IP
7 >> address, heck, you don't need a monitor for much of anything it
8 >> appears.  I even found a console so one can type in things to do.  I
9 >> wonder, could one install the LVM stuff and use that?  That would be
10 >> interesting.
11 >>
12 >> I wonder if there is a NAS software that uses LVM instead.  Interesting
13 >> thought.  I just may go bug google on that one.  o_O
14 > Interestingly, after feeding LVM NAS to my search engine, one of the first
15 > results was a Qnap user forum thread which reads that Qnaps use LVM. It
16 > makes sense, since they most likely use a “normal” linux software RAID
17 > underneath, and LVM is then the best way to dynamically manage the space on
18 > top of that.
19 >
20 > While ZFS has the same pooling feature as LVM, meaning you can bunch several
21 > disks together to create a JBOD, it has one big disadvantage over LVM: you
22 > can grow a pool, but not shrink it. Actually, while reading up on stuff for
23 > this thread, I learned that these days it is actually possible to remove a
24 > mirror vdev from a mirror-only pool (a mirror can technically also be a
25 > single device). But according to
26 > https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSWhyNoVdevRemoval
27 > it’s not perfect either.
31 With LVM, I usually either move data to a larger drive or just add a
32 additional drive.  I think I shrunk once, I think.  Still, one always
33 wants to have options.
34
35 One thing about LVM, I already know how to use it.  I've got notes on
36 how to do things and it has worked.  With ZFS I'd have to learn it all
37 over again plus it could confuse me with my using LVM on my main rig.
38 In a way, if I build a Raspberry NAS, I'd like to have Linux and LVM on
39 the thing.  At least then I have experience moving data and such.  Right
40 now, I don't even have the basics of ZFS or BSD.  I'm not saying TrueNAS
41 is bad or anything, just that I don't really care for the learning
42 curve.  Then the confusion part on top of that.
43
44 I've read there are distros built for Raspberry thingys.  I'd be shocked
45 if it isn't doable.  I'd be shocked if someone hasn't already done it
46 even.
47
48 Time will tell I guess.
49