From: Peter Lewis <prlewis@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:37:50
1 James,
2
3 On Tuesday 20 February 2007 15:46, James wrote:
4 > Peter Lewis <prlewis <at> letterboxes.org> writes:
5 > > No, I didn't mean it as a criticism anyway. I just find that it helps to
6 > > assume the best on mailing lists. It all helps for a happy community.
7 >
8 > Dear Pompous Jerks:
9
10 Are you including me in that?
11
12 If you read what I wrote, you will find that I was indeed advocating the use
13 of the mailing list for people to ask for advice / experiences, rather than
14 flaming someone for not using Google.
15
16 I too am surprised by the lack of civility on this and other Gentoo mailing
17 lists sometimes. This is something which can only put people off asking for
18 help on them.
19
20 > The arrogance of these responses is astounding. Does anyone believe
21 > in civility any more?
22 >
23 > If google is so wonderful, and all of the aforementioned geniuses
24 > so bright, how did you guys miss the most glaring response of all?
25 >
26 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/gnap-userguide.xml
27
28 Quite. I know very little about the topic which the OP was asking about,
29 Gentoo solutions or otherwise. I was merely defending the guy's right to ask
30 the question without being shot down for "being lazy".
31
32 > After all, since he asked on a gentoo list, might we not all assume
33 > that he's inquiring about a gentoo_ish solution, without explicit
34 > statement thereof?
37 > You guys should be ashamed of your behavior. Just because somebody
38 > does not write a politically correct question, does not mean
39 > they don't need help. If you are not will to *HELP* then just
40 > ignore the email......
41
42 I could not agree more.
43
44 > Besides, Gentoo's greatest strength is
45 > the help the community provides to one another. Do you think this
46 > guy is now going to go to his friends and say "hey checkout this
47 > firewall I found and set up with the help of the gentoo community?"
48
49 Like I said, I think this list could be a LOT friendlier. Just because someone
50 is a Gentoo user does not mean that we can assume all sorts of knowledge and
51 skills. They may well just be curious or like the thing.
52
53 Pete.
54 --
55 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list