From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: meino.cramer@×××.de
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:50:31
1 On 1/21/2011 3:30 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org> [11-01-21 21:28]:
3 >> On 1/21/2011 2:48 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> My ASUS board offers:
6 >>> RAID
7 >>> IDE
8 >>> AHCI
9 >>>
10 >>> The help to both kernel options mentioned above is saying (beside
11 >>> other things): "If unsure, say N".
12 >>
13 >> Which kernel options are you specifically looking it?
14 >>
15 >> There isn't a single option that I see that says "AHCI", or "IDE".
16 >> There are two separate AHCI options and a few dozen SFF ("IDE") options.
17
18 > I am talking about this two options:
19 >
20 > CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
21 > # CONFIG_SATA_AHCI_PLATFORM is not set
22
23 Yes, those are just two different version of the AHCI driver. And you
24 don't need either of them to boot, since AHCI is only one option for
25 accessing IDE drives. On my systems that predate AHCI/SATA, for
26 example, I just use the legacy interface:
27
28 CONFIG_ATA_SFF=y
29 CONFIG_ATA_BMDMA=y
30 CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
31
32 But if AHCI is available, then obviously I'm going to use that instead.
33
34 --Mike