From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Filesystem with lowest CPU load, acceptable emerge performance, and stable?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:07:54
1 Am 06.09.2011 21:24, schrieb James Broadhead:
2 > On 6 September 2011 19:55, Permjacov Evgeniy <permeakra@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 09/06/2011 09:26 PM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >>> Disk I/O Characteristic: Occasional writes during 'normal' usage,
5 >>> once-a-week eix-sync + emerge -avuD
6 >>> Priority: Stable (i.e., less chance of corruption), least CPU usage.
7 >
8 > You would have to profile this, but I imagine that the best approach
9 > would be to compile in a RAM disk and copy. I think that you're
10 > probably trying to optimise the wrong part of this problem.
11 >
12 > As for ext3/ext4, the improvements to fsck alone make ext4 the FS of
13 > choice between the two.
14 >
15 > JB
18 Pandu is building a firewall. Putting a ton of RAM in it just for the
19 sake for system updates is plain overkill and -- depending on his IaaS
20 provider -- pretty expensive.
21
22 Regards,
23 Florian Philipp