From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Frozen after Upgrade
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 16:42:46
1 Willie Wong wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:56:04PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
5 >>> maintenance mode. How do I do that?
6 >>>
7 >> At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
8 >> Press "e"
9 >> Move cursor to the "kernel" line
10 >> Press "e"
11 >> Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"
12 >>
13 > Uh, I thought that, per discussions a few weeks ago, we've concluded
14 > that in Gentoo that will still land you in the default runlevel.
15 > Instead you should append
16 > softlevel=single
17 > to the end of the line, and continue from hereon.
20 >> Press<enter>
21 >> Press "b"
24 > Cheers,
25 >
26 > W
29 I had trouble with that a while back to but I think it was fixed. Of
30 course, this may only be true if you updated whatever it is that fixed
31 it. ;-)
32
33 I am up to date here as of last night and softlevel=single worked a
34 couple weeks ago and has worked for several months. I guess you could
35 always just try it and see which one works. If one of them doesn't
36 work, it needs to be reported I guess. I would be willing to bet that
37 Alan's way will work. Adding init=/bin/bash always works from my
38 experience. Just keep in mind that you have to reboot when done and
39 make sure you are mounted rw instead of ro.
40
41 Dale
42