From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Out of memory error
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:54:55
1 On Saturday 19 Nov 2011 17:37:59 Hans Müller wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 19. November 2011 20:08:36 Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 > > > On Nov 19, 2011 7:28 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > And, finally, yeah..that isn't just "not much", that's a terribly small
5 > > > amount of memory. Assuming you've kept the software current, some of
6 > > > your applications have certainly not been maintained with 600MB of
7 > > > system memory in mind.
8 > >
9 > > Indeed. With less than 800MB, gcc fails to upgrade. Always. For some
10 > > RAM-constrained systems (e.g. the VMs in my company's cloud), I even have
11 > > to do an "out-of-the-box" upgrade, i.e., upgrade an identical copy on the
12 > > physical data center, grab the binpkg tarball, and upload the tarball to
13 > > the cloud.
14 >
15 > If you provide enough swap this shouldn't be an issue.
16 > I have a box running Xen dom0 with 680MB RAM and 1.5GB swap and it compiles
17 > everything fine so far.
18 > Of course I didn't emerge firefox, libreoffice or similar packages on this
19 > system, but at least for gcc this is fine.
20 >
21 > Best regards
22
23 Thanks again for all the advice received. I've added a few swap files to bring
24 swap up to 1206984k and libxul.so was finally built and installed without
25 bringing the machine to its knees. :-)
26
27 It seems that with time applications are getting bigger than what they used to
28 be.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick