From: "Hans Müller" <mcbeagle@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Out of memory error
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 17:39:02
1 On Saturday, 19. November 2011 20:08:36 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > > On Nov 19, 2011 7:28 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > And, finally, yeah..that isn't just "not much", that's a terribly small
4 > > amount of memory. Assuming you've kept the software current, some of your
5 > > applications have certainly not been maintained with 600MB of system
6 > > memory in mind.
7 >
8 > Indeed. With less than 800MB, gcc fails to upgrade. Always. For some
9 > RAM-constrained systems (e.g. the VMs in my company's cloud), I even have
10 > to do an "out-of-the-box" upgrade, i.e., upgrade an identical copy on the
11 > physical data center, grab the binpkg tarball, and upload the tarball to
12 > the cloud.
13
14 If you provide enough swap this shouldn't be an issue.
15 I have a box running Xen dom0 with 680MB RAM and 1.5GB swap and it compiles
16 everything fine so far.
17 Of course I didn't emerge firefox, libreoffice or similar packages on this
18 system, but at least for gcc this is fine.
19
20 Best regards