From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What happened to OpenRC 0.9.6?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 16:43:26
1 On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:31:44 -0500
2 "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 18:15 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > > Generally true, but not when something is obviously broken. That
6 > > means
7 > > not even its upstream dev bothered to test it.
8 > >
9 > > ~arch is for "we think this works, but please give it a go in case
10 > > there
11 > > are problems". It's *not* for "we have no idea if this works
12 > > because we
13 > > didn't even try it once".
14 >
15 > You're experience is obviously different than mine. I've been using
16 > Gentoo for many years and sometimes things in unstable don't even
17 > compile... and it's obvious that the Gentoo developers didn't even
18 > attempt to compile it. This is par for the course.
19 >
20 > And you're talking about a feature that is already documented as
21 > "probably won't work" and you're expecting them to test *that* given
22 > that they don't even test things that are expected to work?!
23 >
24 > Good luck with that.
25
26 My experience is different to both of yours. I too have been using
27 Gentoo for many years and had good results with unstable. Hardly ever,
28 if even at all, have I run into packages that would not compile at
31 Build failures for me have always been some unusual configs on my end,
32 usually strange USE flags. But I don't use any of the more exotic
33 packages like those in sci- and games- so YMMV I guess.
37 Alan McKinnnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com