From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 18:08:28
1 On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:35:10 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
2
3 > > I take a different approach, I have a set called temp in my
4 > > world_sets. If I want to try something out, I "echo cat/pkg
5 > > >>/etc/portage/sets/temp" then I can try it and keep it updated
6 > > >>during the trial and not have to
7 > > worry about its deps. All I need to do is look at the temp file from
8 > > time to time and remove anything I no longer want, then it gets
9 > > depcleaned along with its dependencies.
10 >
11 > That's a good approach. But, what I'm looking for could be a general
12 > purpose tool for *all* of the gentoo community to parse and identify
13 > packages that are not being updated or at lease fall into the orphan
14 > category. One common case is those packages installed (-1). I'd venture
15 > to guess from time to time that most gentoo users have packages
16 > installed that are not dependencies for any other packages. Often is it
17 > by accident or extreme manual cleansing events (like the recent ncurses
18 > episode) that folks stumble across these orphaned packages. I just
19 > think a tool or option in an existing tool does/should cover that
20 > scenario. It is a routine need, imho.
21
22 That's exactly what depclean is for, to find any packages that are not
23 dependencies of the installed sets.
24
25 > That said are there any make.conf mods need to use sets like this,
26 > or just create the dir and and use your command line string?
27
28 That's all you do. Any file in /etc/portage/sets containing a list of
29 atoms is taken to be a set definition.
30
31 > I might not use it permanently the way you do, but I can see putting
32 > a collection of (-1) packages into a set, for organizational structure.
33 > With clustering now infecting my gentoo world, I'll need a master by
34 > architecture, logically organized collection of "sets" to cover the
35 > myriad of node set-ups. Each system will most likely have a different
36 > installation of these sets. And the cluster is now moving to a
37 > multi-arch setup with aarch64.
38
39 I use sets like that too. I have one called base that I installed at the
40 chroot stage of installation, containing various essential and useful
41 packages - such as portage-utils, conf-update and eix. Then sets called
42 desktop and laptop - sets can contain other sets so when installing my
43 new laptop I only have to "emerge -u @laptop".
47 Neil Bothwick
48
49 Energizer Bunny arrested, charged with battery :)