From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: update problems
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 17:35:33
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > I take a different approach, I have a set called temp in my world_sets. If
5 > I want to try something out, I "echo cat/pkg >>/etc/portage/sets/temp"
6 > then I can try it and keep it updated during the trial and not have to
7 > worry about its deps. All I need to do is look at the temp file from time
8 > to time and remove anything I no longer want, then it gets depcleaned
9 > along with its dependencies.
10
11 That's a good approach. But, what I'm looking for could be a general
12 purpose tool for *all* of the gentoo community to parse and identify
13 packages that are not being updated or at lease fall into the orphan
14 category. One common case is those packages installed (-1). I'd venture to
15 guess from time to time that most gentoo users have packages installed that
16 are not dependencies for any other packages. Often is it by accident or
17 extreme manual cleansing events (like the recent ncurses episode) that folks
18 stumble across these orphaned packages. I just think a tool or option in
19 an existing tool does/should cover that scenario. It is a routine need, imho.
20
21 That said are there any make.conf mods need to use sets like this,
22 or just create the dir and and use your command line string?
23
24 I might not use it permanently the way you do, but I can see putting
25 a collection of (-1) packages into a set, for organizational structure.
26 With clustering now infecting my gentoo world, I'll need a master by
27 architecture, logically organized collection of "sets" to cover the myriad
28 of node set-ups. Each system will most likely have a different installation
29 of these sets. And the cluster is now moving to a multi-arch setup
30 with aarch64.
33 So you idea is worth pursuit for me at this time. I still need that tool
34 to at least identify the (-1) installed packages. I know we have 'equery
35 depends' but that does not traverse the entire list of installed packages,
36 or did I miss that syntax? Any ideas on that sort of (-1) parsing are
37 keenly appreciated ?
40 James