From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question of quantum computer
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 00:14:11
1 On Saturday, April 04, 2015 1:57:19 AM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 03/04/2015 23:11, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 > > That's the problem with science in general. The one thing it may never be
4 able
5 > > to answer is "why?". Take gravity as an example. We got really good models
6 for
7 > > it, we can predict how it influences even light with great accuracy but
8 what
9 > > are the underlying mechanisms? We may never know. Einstein would say it's
10 > > because matter bends space, but what is the underlying mechanism for that?
11 We
12 > > just take his word for it because he gave us equations that work better
13 than
14 > > anything else we've come up with so far.
17 > The scientific community is very well aware that it cannot answer the
18 > question "why?", and in fact, true science doesn't even try.
19 >
20 > Science never proves anything, it only fails to disprove a realistic
21 > workable model.
22 >
23 > For the sake of simplicity and brevity we often says "according to
24 > Einstein's theory matter bands space so therefore..." or even simplify
25 > that to "matter bands space so therefore...", all the time understanding
26 > that it's just a model, and could be totally wrong about the real
27 > underlying truth.
28 >
29 > This is in no way a "problem" with science. It is by design.
30
31 That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Should've read more like "If
32 that's a problem with quantum physics then it's a problem with science in
33 general..."
36 Fernando Rodriguez