From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH hosed, only rubble remains
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 20:52:16
1 On 5/29/06, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 >
3 > Tuesday 30 May 2006 06:48 skrev Iain Buchanan:
4 > > I see this [ "x" != "x$BLAH" ] test all over the place, especially in
5 > > the /etc/init.d scripts. Maybe -z is not standardised or something?
6 > > Dunno why people use it.
7 >
8 > Having searched a little further I have been able to locate a few scripts
9 > that
10 > uses this in my bin folders. Common for those scripts are that they are sh
11 > scripts and not bash scripts. Looking at 'man sh' you find no -z or -n but
12 > they are in 'man bash'.
13 >
14 > I think it's safe to say that .bashrc is a bash script and to make it even
15 > more amusing (or whatever) Kevin does use both -z and -n a little further
16 > down in his script.
19 All true. I do translations like this when I want to make it clear what's
20 going on.
21 I worry that in the future seeing a test on "$PS1" will baffle me, even if I
22 wrote
23 it. So I create a variable whose name indicates the motivation. I'm never
24 going to save enough time optimizing a .bashrc script to pay for one
25 minutes'
26 worth of floundering later on.
27
28 I have no defense for the variance in coding style. I didn't notice it so I
29 didn't
30 change it. I may still not do so -- I don't see the point.
31
32 It's a matter of taste.
33
34 ++ kevin