From: wraeth <wraeth@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Epic list of total FAIL.
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:20:35
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 21/08/15 08:31, Alan Grimes wrote:
5 > Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
6 >> The ncurses ebuild is indeed broken, I ran into the same problem
7 >> before.
8 >>
9 >> But you received good advice on your last thread (build libtinfo
10 >> on another system and copy it or just try symlinking it to
11 >> ncurses), if you'd followed it you would a got your system back
12 >> up in a few minutes.
13 >
14 > ppl seem to be antsy to hear what I actually did, so I'll
15 > respond....
16
17 Because we try to avoid flame wars and needless name-calling/swearing
18 when looking for and providing support to people. Also because we kind
19 of expect the original poster to respond to queries in a thread that
20 they started.
21
22 > 1. I got my grubby mitts on a stage 3 tarball, I always keep one on
23 > hand for this reason. =\
24 >
25 > 2. I grepped everything in /bin and /lib for tinfo and copied over
26 > from the tarball where necessary.
27
28 This is kind of dangerous. It would be safer to create/use a binary
29 package.
30
31 - From a running Gentoo system (including a stage3) you can create a
32 binary package of an installed program by running
33
34 quickpkg <category>/<package>
35
36 This will place it in /usr/portage/packages by default (see PKGDIR in
37 `man make.conf`). This is better than just randomly copying files from
38 another system. There are also online hosts available that provide
39 some packages (see my post in your previous thread).
40
41 > 3. Started --emptytree world.
42 >
43 > 4. waited.
44 >
45 > 5. kicked it each time it stopped,
46 >
47 > 6. kicked it some more.
48 >
49 > 7. kicked it a few more times.
50
51 Emerge's '--keep-going' option may be of use to you here...
52
53 > 8, got to the end of the list about two and a half days later
54 > (which is par for my machine.)
55 >
56 > 9. published the results.
57 >
58 > 10. rebooted.
59
60 So what you're saying is that you did an '--emptytree' build for which
61 there were a number of failures; *one* of which was a segfault; some
62 of which may not be valid; after arbitrarily copying some files from a
63 stage3 of unknown age.
64
65 Don't get me wrong, providing feedback and letting others know is
66 good, but unless there's a baseline and/or more is known about what is
67 going on (see Alan McKinnon's comment about others not getting this
68 and something about your environment potentially causing this), we
69 can't do much with it.
70
71 More information about your environment, such as an `emerge --info`
72 and relevant flags/settings for a specific package that is failing
73 would go a fair way to giving us the information we need (and have
74 asked for) to be able to help you.
75
76 - --
77 wraeth <wraeth@×××××××××.au>