From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 13:34:13
1 On Saturday, August 02, 2014 11:18:32 AM Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 01/08/2014 21:35, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> On 01/08/2014 20:17, James wrote:
5 > >>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > >>>> New job, new environment. Existing persons suffer from
7 > >>>> 5-year-old-with-a-hammer syndrome and assume cron is the
8 solution to
9 > >>>> all
10 > >>>> ills. Result: a towering edifice of cron jobs that may or may not
11 > >>>> clobber each other's work, may or may not work at all, and
12 implement no
13 > >>>> error handling at all. But my god, can they spew out mail from
14 STOUT
15 > >>>
16 > >>> Sounds like a department full of computer scientist I inherited a
17 few
18 > >>> decades ago...........
19 > >>
20 > >> I've met folks like that....
21 > >> Brilliant in their chosen field but completely useless outside it? The
22 > >> kind of fellows who see nothing wrong with eating a barbeque'd
23 steak
24 > >> with a spoon because they can get a result?
25 > >>
26 > >>> I know nothing bout chronos, but I find it an interesting
27 read....ymmv.
28 > >>>
29 > >>>
30 > >>> http://nerds.airbnb.com/introducing-chronos/
31 > >>> http://airbnb.github.io/chronos/
32 > >>> https://github.com/airbnb/chronos
33 > >>
34 > >> Aaaaaaaah, now this sounds like something I can use. Proper
35 dependency
36 > >> chains, Restful JSON interface so the devs can write code to drive it
37 in
38 > >> automation.
39 > >>
40 > >> Good find, thanks!
41 > >
42 > > Unless I am missing something, chronos is not in the tree at all.
43 >
44 > Correct, it isn't in the tree. But there's nothing stopping me from
45 > getting it in there
46
47 Neither are the dependencies.
48
49 If you get it to work, don't forget to create a nice howto documentation as
50 from what I found online, the documentation is incomplete and out of date.
53 Joost