From: Anton Molyboha <anton.stay.connected@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wiki-viewer anyone?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 22:58:12
1 On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 6:49 PM, R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 5:41 PM, <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 > > On 10/06 05:49, Andrew Tselischev wrote:
5 > >> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 07:07:04PM +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
6 > >> > Hi,
7 > >> >
8 > >> > The u8g8lib, which contains libraries to drive a great amount of
9 > >> > displays for mainly embedded electronics has a wiki on github, which
10 > >> > can be oficially git-pulled as a local copy...which I did.
11 > >> >
12 > >> > Now I have tons of *.md (markdown) -files instead of html and I
13 > >> > dont know of any handy viewer for these.
14 > >> >
15 > >> > Since I want to update the repo from time to time
16 > >> > I dont want to convert them.
17 > >> >
18 > >> > Is there any recommended quick and clean way to view these files on
19 > the fly as
20 > >> > they would be html?
21 > >> >
22 > >> > Thanks a lot for any help in advance!
23 > >> > Cheers
24 > >> > Meino
25 > >> >
26 > >>
27 > >> Markdown is a markup language that was specifically designed to be
28 > readable in the source.
29 > >>
30 > >> However, if you still find it hard to read, perhaps syntax highlighting
31 > in a fancy
32 > >> text editor can help approximate the intended effects of the markup.
33 > >>
34 > >> Also, there are markdown-to-HTML translators. Some are even included in
35 > portage tree.
36 > >>
39 > > I dont want to convert the md-files to html, since I want to update
40 > > the repo later (see above).
41 > > The problem are files referencing other files. Reading the md-files
42 > > via vim (for example) would imply to grab all references by hand.
43 > > Fortheremore, tne docs are filled with graphics (for example images
44 > > of the fonts, which can be used), which cannot be displayed with an
45 > > ASCII-editor.
46 > > Formatting is necassary with this docs...
49 > Typically what is done is you render the whole Wiki to HTML, and then
50 > view it in a browser. You don't edit the HTML directly. It should be
51 > possible to generate it incrementally.
52 >
53 > The one catch is that they might be relying on GitHub's integrated
54 > Wiki system. If they are, you might need to install Gollum to process
55 > the markdown files to HTML.
56 >
57 > Cheers,
58 > R0b0t1
61 This is a definite overkill, but I'm using JetBrains' IntelliJ Idea
62 (actually PyCharm) with the markdown plugin. It shows markdown and html
63 side-to-side in the editor.
64
65 Anton