From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 16:20:00
1 On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>
4 >> Why not mount /dev/sda10 as root and be done with it.? No need to move anything.
5 >
6 >  ...because data access at the outer partitions are faster than those
7 >  in the middle...
10 OK, assuming it's really measurable in real life, but I'll point out
11 that you don't necessarily have to 'copy' data from partition to
12 partition to achieve that. I've used gparted to first delete what you
13 are terming /dev/sda3, then enlarge /dev/sda10 toward the side of the
14 drive where you want it, then shrink sda10 when you get it there.
15 Takes a lot of time but works for a dummy like me, and no need to mess
16 with fstab, etc., because it just remains sda10.
17
18 Granted, that simple example assumes there's nothing in the middle. If
19 there is then I typically shrink and move it also.
20
21 Not an ideal solution, but it works.
22
23 But the point remains that you can probably exist with both installs
24 on the drive for some _long_ period of time before you ever get around
25 to these steps for the sake of performance. Certainly don't get rid of
26 the working 32-bit install before you are _completely_ sure the 64-bit
27 is working.
28
29 - Mark