From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:23:52
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [10-09-11 17:08]:
2 > On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > > I think there is some misunderstanding:
5 > >
6 > > Before migration to 64bit:
7 > >
8 > > /dev/sda3 is mounted on / and contains the 32bit Gentoo
9 > >
10 > > /dev/sda10 is mounted on /home/mcc/migration and will contain the
11 > > stuff of the 64bit Gentoo
12 > >
13 > > After migration I will *not* mount /dev/sda10 on / but will clear all
14 > > stuff from /dev/sda3 and move the contents from /dev/sda10 to
15 > > /dev/sda3.
16 > >
17 > > Is still valid what you said under this premissions, Wonko?
18 > >
19 > > Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
20 > > Best regards
21 > > mcc
22 >
23 > Why not mount /dev/sda10 as root and be done with it.? No need to move anything.
24
25 ...because data access at the outer partitions are faster than those
26 in the middle...
29 > Do the 64-bit install as you are suggesting. Do NOT install grub.
30 >
31 > Place the 64-bit kernel in the current /boot pointing at /dev/sda10.
32 >
33 > Modify grub.conf to allow you to boot either /dev/sda3 (your 32-bit
34 > install) or /dev/sda10. (your 64-bit install)
35 >
36 > Boot both installs a few times and test that each is working. (They
37 > will be) Use the 64-bit install for a few days and make sure it's
38 > working. When it is don't boot 32-bit for a week or two, just leaving
39 > it there on the drive because almost certainly you will have forgotten
40 > to copy something over. (I always do...) Only when you are comfortable
41 > that 64-bit is working correctly delete the 32-bit on /dev/sda3 if you
42 > need the disk space.
43
44 In the docs on gentoo-wiki (or? somewhere else?) I read that some
45 kind of data are not portable namely databases...
46
47 > Remember, leaving /home out of the picture a Gentoo install takes
48 > maybe 10GB. It's not that large. Probably less if you shared the
49 > portage distfiles directory between the two.
50 >
51 > It doesn't hurt very much to have multiple installs on the same drive
52 > in different partitions. It's what I did playing with a stable and a
53 > testing install. I eventually deleted the testing install and just
54 > went with stable and a few testing application packages. (I still
55 > don't understand why any normal user wants a ~amd64 install but that's
56 > just me!) ;-)
57
58 The normal user like me want 64bit application to access more than
59 2GB per task.
60 In my case: Rendering and simulation takes a LOT of memory
61 especially when it comes to huge counts of vertice or particle
62 interactions.
63 Therefore I plan to install 8GByte RAM.
66 > Hope this helps,
67 > Mark
68
69 Yes Mark, it helps! Thanks a lot! :)