From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:54:46
1 On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > I think there is some misunderstanding:
4 >
5 > Before migration to 64bit:
6 >
7 > /dev/sda3 is mounted on / and contains the 32bit Gentoo
8 >
9 > /dev/sda10 is mounted on /home/mcc/migration and will contain the
10 > stuff of the 64bit Gentoo
11 >
12 > After migration I will *not* mount /dev/sda10 on / but will clear all
13 > stuff from /dev/sda3 and move the contents from /dev/sda10 to
14 > /dev/sda3.
15 >
16 > Is still valid what you said under this premissions, Wonko?
17 >
18 > Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
19 > Best regards
20 > mcc
21
22 Why not mount /dev/sda10 as root and be done with it.? No need to move anything.
23
24 Do the 64-bit install as you are suggesting. Do NOT install grub.
25
26 Place the 64-bit kernel in the current /boot pointing at /dev/sda10.
27
28 Modify grub.conf to allow you to boot either /dev/sda3 (your 32-bit
29 install) or /dev/sda10. (your 64-bit install)
30
31 Boot both installs a few times and test that each is working. (They
32 will be) Use the 64-bit install for a few days and make sure it's
33 working. When it is don't boot 32-bit for a week or two, just leaving
34 it there on the drive because almost certainly you will have forgotten
35 to copy something over. (I always do...) Only when you are comfortable
36 that 64-bit is working correctly delete the 32-bit on /dev/sda3 if you
37 need the disk space.
38
39 Remember, leaving /home out of the picture a Gentoo install takes
40 maybe 10GB. It's not that large. Probably less if you shared the
41 portage distfiles directory between the two.
42
43 It doesn't hurt very much to have multiple installs on the same drive
44 in different partitions. It's what I did playing with a stable and a
45 testing install. I eventually deleted the testing install and just
46 went with stable and a few testing application packages. (I still
47 don't understand why any normal user wants a ~amd64 install but that's
48 just me!) ;-)
49
50 Hope this helps,
51 Mark