From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving / around...
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:19:56
1 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> [10-09-11 12:08]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
3 >
4 > > I plan to "convert" (==reinstall) my system to be 64bit.
5 > > Since I have an already working and configure 32bit Gentoo-
6 > > system I would like to do the migration as follows:
7 > >
8 > > Create another / partition somwhere on my harddisk
9 > > Install/Create a new 64bit Gentoo root there.
10 > > If everything works fine: Delete 32bit-/ and move (cp -a or something
11 > > like that) the 64bit-/ onto the now empty 32bit-/.
12 >
13 > I would mount -o bind / /mnt/binroot and cp -a or something /mnt/bindroot
14 > to the 32bit-/, so you don't copy things as /proc and /dev as well.
15 >
16 > > BUT:
17 > > Are there any -- especiall system-related -- binaries or such,
18 > > which get an hardcoded compiled in, so they would fail to work
19 > > after / is moved to another place than where it was created?
20 >
21 > No. The path would still be the same, whatever the underlying device is.
22 >
23 > Wonko
26 I think there is some misunderstanding:
27
28 Before migration to 64bit:
29
30 /dev/sda3 is mounted on / and contains the 32bit Gentoo
31
32 /dev/sda10 is mounted on /home/mcc/migration and will contain the
33 stuff of the 64bit Gentoo
34
35 After migration I will *not* mount /dev/sda10 on / but will clear all
36 stuff from /dev/sda3 and move the contents from /dev/sda10 to
37 /dev/sda3.
38
39 Is still valid what you said under this premissions, Wonko?
40
41 Thanks a lot for your help in advance!
42 Best regards
43 mcc