From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:10:42
1 On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> [12-02-18 16:52]:
3 >> Hi there!
4 >>
5 >> I want to play Quake3. games-fps/quake3 works, but somehow extra stuff
6 >> (maps, models) I downloaded and put into /opt/quake3/baseq3 is not being
7 >> used. I think I had such problems before, so I used to run
8 >> games-fps/quake3-bin instead. I have no sound.
11 >> There are error messages:
12 >>
13 >> /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
14 >> Could not open /dev/dsp
15 >>
16 >> This is true, even as root I cannot echo something to this device. lsof
17 >> and fuser return nothing, so I wonder what is using the device.
18 >>
19 >> I had sound problems with Quake3 in the past, and found a wrapper script
20 >> quake3-sdl-sound [*], that worked. But now it doesn't.
21 >>
22 >> Any ideas? There will be a big match going on with my little sister this
23 >> evening, so you see this is a really really important issue!
24 >>
25 >>       Wonko
28 > Hi Alex,
29 >
30 > try (as root)
31 >
32 >    fuser /dev/dsp
33 >
34 > to figure out, which task helds that device...
35
36 Typically, IME, Flash.
37
38 It should be possible to launch the binary using a wrapper that
39 redirects things to either ALSA or PulseAudio. I don't remember,
40 exactly; it's been a long time since I've had to deal with OSS-only
41 apps.
45 :wq