From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: python-updater broken
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 20:54:49
1 On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 20:38 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Albert Hopkins <marduk <at> letterboxes.org> writes:
5 > > Perhaps you can run strace (or bash -x) on it to see where it's hanging.
6 >
7 > Oh, I would not know the syntax. No man page for strace. more info?
8 > syntax suggestions? The machine hoses everytime I run python-update.
9
10 Probably no man page because it's likely not installed.
11
12 # emerge strace
13
14 But the generic way of running it is
15
16 # strace python-updater
20 > > > # eselect python list
21 > > > !!! Error: Can't load module python
22 >
23 > > Probably because there is no eselect module for python installed (there
24 > > isn't one on any my machines).
25 >
26 > Right, so now I installed it and it says:
29 > Available python interpreters:
30 > [1] python2.4
31 > [2] python2.5 *
32 >
33 > So why does python-updater have to be used at all?
34 > Everything else seems fine....
37 The python-updater and eselect module do completely different things.
38 All the eselect module probably does is update a
39 symlink: /usr/bin/python => python2.5. What python-updater is supposed
40 to do is take all the packages that were emerged against python2.4 and
41 re-emerge them agains python2.5. Basically what it does is identify all
42 the files in /usr/lib/python-<oldversion>/site-packages, associates them
43 with packages and re-emerges those packages. It's a shell script so
44 running:
45
46 # bash -x /usr/sbin/python-updater
47
48 should give you some indication as to where it's hanging.
49
50 Hope this helps.
51 -a