From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't paste from selection in gtk-3 apps
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 05:23:42
1 On Thu, September 17, 2015 16:33, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2015-09-17, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 2015-09-17, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> I use 2 screens extensively and never experienced any issues like you
6 >>>>> describe.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> And you can select/paste from one screen to another where the source
9 >>>> is a gtk-3 app?
10 >>>
11 >>> Not sure, need to test with a gtk-3 app.
12 >>>
13 >>> I run KDE myself.
14 >>
15 >>>> I should clarify that I mean "screen" in the strict X11 usage. Using
16 >>>> Xinerama or the like to spread a single desktop across multiple
17 >>>> monitors is still a single screen setup. I'm trying to select text
18 >>>> on DISPLAY=:0.0 and paste it on DISPLAY=:0.1
19 >>>
20 >>> Not using my desktop atm.
21 >>> What does Xorg do by default when it detects multiple screens?
22 >>
23 >> Not sure -- I'll have to give it a try. IIRC, it just uses the first
24 >> one.
25 >
26 > At least on my machine, if I start up X11 without a configuration file
27 > it only uses one of my three monitors. That behavior may depend on
28 > which boards are installed and which board/driver is found first.
29
30 On my desktop:
31
32 $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
33 Section "Device"
34 Identifier "Card0"
35 Driver "nvidia"
36 BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
37 EndSection
38
39 (Without this, X doesn't start, complaining it can't find VESA)
40
41 echo $DISPLAY returns the same on both desktops.
42
43 Please note: This desktop was installed years ago and simply kept
44 up-to-date for the most part. But it does have the "xinerama" USE-flag set
45 globally.
46
47 I remember reading something about it, but not sure if this is the "new"
48 or "old" way of doing it. I need to check how my laptop handles it later
49 today/this weekend.
52 Joost