From: Mateusz Arkadiusz Mierzwinski <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:10:54
1 Sure thing I use lilo on my lap. You want config for example?
2
3 2010/7/12 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4
5 > On 12 July 2010 08:37, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
6 > > 100712 Mick suggested :
7 > >> install a separate boot partition with an ext2 fs
8 > >> and install GRUB2 there instead of the MBR.
9 > >> Then chainload it from your LILO bootloader menu.
10 > >
11 > > Thanks for your very prompt response. I'm not sure if I've got it right,
12 > > but I can easily re-install Ubuntu with a /boot partition using Ext2 ,
13 > > then tell Lilo to look there for the kernel image. Is that what you mean
14 > ?
15 > >
16 > > Any other suggestions are also welcome.
17 >
18 > Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I recall clicking on 'advanced' or
19 > some such options during the Ubuntu install and it gave me an option
20 > as to where GRUB should go. I chose the /boot partition and then used
21 > the main OS boot manager to chainload Ubuntu's GRUB.
22 >
23 > As was already suggested by John you can instead copy the kernel image
24 > & initrd from the Ubuntu installation and place them in your existing
25 > /boot partition, then point LILO to it. Doing it as I suggest you
26 > will essentially have a mirror installation to your cousin's.
27 >
28 > PS. I found Ubuntu easier to update/upgrade by having separate /boot,
29 > / and /home partitions.
30 > --
31 > Regards,
32 > Mick