From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:20:48
1 On 12 July 2010 08:37, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 100712 Mick suggested :
3 >> install a separate boot partition with an ext2 fs
4 >> and install GRUB2 there instead of the MBR.
5 >> Then chainload it from your LILO bootloader menu.
6 >
7 > Thanks for your very prompt response.  I'm not sure if I've got it right,
8 > but I can easily re-install Ubuntu with a  /boot  partition using Ext2 ,
9 > then tell Lilo to look there for the kernel image.  Is that what you mean ?
10 >
11 > Any other suggestions are also welcome.
12
13 Yes, that's exactly what I mean. I recall clicking on 'advanced' or
14 some such options during the Ubuntu install and it gave me an option
15 as to where GRUB should go. I chose the /boot partition and then used
16 the main OS boot manager to chainload Ubuntu's GRUB.
17
18 As was already suggested by John you can instead copy the kernel image
19 & initrd from the Ubuntu installation and place them in your existing
20 /boot partition, then point LILO to it. Doing it as I suggest you
21 will essentially have a mirror installation to your cousin's.
22
23 PS. I found Ubuntu easier to update/upgrade by having separate /boot,
24 / and /home partitions.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick