From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:06:59
1 100712 Mick wrote:
2 > As was already suggested by John,
3
4 Thanks to John too.
5
6 > you can instead copy the kernel image & initrd from the Ubuntu installation
7 > to your existing /boot partition, then point LILO to it.
8
9 I tried that, Lilo runs ok, but I still get the kernel panic
10 due to the line in lilo.conf 'root=/dev/sda8'.
11 That suggests that it doesn't like the FS on /dev/sda8 , ie ReiserFS,
12 which must be due to something in the Ubuntu set-up,
13 as the Gentoo stanzas have 'root=/dev/sda3", which is also ReiserFS.
14
15 > I recall clicking on 'advanced' or some such options during Ubuntu install
16 > and it gave me an option where GRUB should go. I chose the /boot partition
17 > and then used the main OS boot manager to chainload Ubuntu's GRUB.
18 > Then you will essentially have a mirror installation to your cousin's.
19
20 I don't know what you mean by "chainload Ubuntu's GRUB";
21 I don't remember your specific choice during the Ubuntu install,
22 only "Shall I overwrite the MBR ? ", to which I answer "No ! ".
23 I don't want to learn how to use Grub for this simple test project:
24 Lilo is quite adequate for my normal needs.
25
26 > PS. I found Ubuntu easier to update/upgrade by having separate /boot,
27 > / and /home partitions.
28
29 Ordinarily, that's what I would do, but this is only temporary
30 & I'm not even sure she'll go thro' with the project in the end
31 (she's yet another victim of M$ generally & Vista in particular).
35 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
36 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
37 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca