From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: terrible performance with btrfs on LVM2 using a WD 2TB green drive
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 15:47:19
1 On Tuesday 15 March 2011 15:26:44 James wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
3 > > I have recently added a WD 2TB green drive to two systems and am finding
4 > > terrible performance with btrfs on an LVM using these drives.
5 >
6 > Hmmmm, I've been contemplating btrfs on some new installs
7 > with the eventual goal of a CEPH network file system, on top
8 > of ext4 and/or btrfs. Is this issue just with the drivers, or
9 > related to btrfs too?
10 >
11 > How is btrfs , from the "driver's seat"?
12 >
13 > Does this aberration you detail, extend to the Green Seagate 2T drives?
14 >
15 > > I just saw on the mythtv list about the sector size problem these drives
16 >
17 > Can you give a precise link to this list or can I follow it (read only)
18 > via net news? (if so what is the news group name)?
19 >
20 > I'd like to read up on this issue, as I have several gentoo installs
21 > (very soon) that will have RAID1 using (2) ST 2T green drives.
22 >
23 > Alternative RAID configs and performance/reliability results is
24 > also of keen interest to many; so thanks for posting about these
25 > issues.
28 just google for 4k sectors and or adf drives. There is plenty of material out
29 there.
30
31 And you don't need parted. You can do the correct alignment with good old
32 fdisk.