From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 13:22:14
1 On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 6 September 2011, at 10:12, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >>> Just to make things clear, I utterly detest cups, with its arrogance,
6 >>> its wierd, non-standard, and its non-text-based configuration.  Surely
7 >>> I'm not going to be faced by the choice of abandoning libreoffice or
8 >>> using cups?
9 >>
10 >> ...
11 >> I never liked CUPS, but then, at least there is some interface
12 >> to configure its options. I don't do much printing anyway, so I can live
13 >> with that. Well, seems I have to.
14 >
15 > There's something about the *idea* of CUPS that I think I disliked at one time.
16 >
17 > Isn't CUPS really bug and bloaty and horrible?
18 > It has it's own web-interface, which one doesn't seem able to disable - why can't I just configure text files?
19
20 The web interface is on port 631, the port for the Internet Printing
21 Protocol--which operates using HTTP (or something sufficiently like it
22 that you can tell Windows to find a printer at
23 http://yourhostname:631/printer_queue_name) as a baseline. That's why
24 it has a 'web' interface--the IPP folks looked at HTTP, saw that it
25 did much of what they needed, and built on top of it.
26
27 For giggles...read the HTTP RFC and compare request types like 'PUT'
28 vs 'POST'. HTTP is a *monster* of a protocol.
31 :wq