From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo for many servers (was: Re: [gentoo-user] executing commands on lots of servers at once)
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 20:21:24
1 On Saturday 14 November 2009 19:36:06 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge
4 > > -avuND world everywhere
5 >
6 > This is way cool. I just started using it on eight Fedora servers I am
7 > administrating. Nice, now this is an improvement over my 'for $h in
8 > $HOSTS; do ssh $h "yum install foo"; done' approach.
9
10 I feel your pain :-)
11
12 We used to have the same problem adding new admins to 87 machines. Now we have
13 a bespoke provisioner that does it all.
14
15 > What do you guys think about using Gentoo for servers? At the institute I
16 > partially work we chose Fedora. There is no special reason for that - we
17 > already had some Fedora machines, the setup seemed to work, the reputation
18 > was good, so we kept it. That was okay for me, why choose many different
19 > environments and learn everything again. I mentioned Gentoo, but did not
20 > really suggest to actually use it. Maybe I should have.
21
22 I'm a huge fan of Gentoo and all my personal machines (except the new netbook)
23 have run it for the last 5 years.
24
25 But I will never install Gentoo on a production server at work.
26
27 Why?
28
29 Because it is too time consuming, because no two machines are set up the same,
30 because I can't trust that other admins used the flags they should have. So
31 updates become a case of logging into 80+ machines individually and doing
32 emerge world by hand. Gentoo allows you to customize things to the nth degree
33 - that is it's strength - so people WILL use this one discriminating factor.
34
35 If OTOH I had a server farm of 80+ machines, all identical, I'd put Gentoo on
36 them in a flash. But I don't have that
37
38 > These 8 servers I mentioned are basically clones of the one I installed
39 > manually. Instead of doing this again, I boot a live-cd on a new one,
40 > create partitions, and extract tar files of the first server's partitions.
41 > Then I do some extra configuration, like hostname and network setup. Done.
42 >
43 > My plan for updating them is to take the first server down, and upgrade
44 > the installation (if that works - I had some trouble with that before, so
45 > maybe it will be better to reinstall from scratch). Then I will create a
46 > snapshot of the new setup, transfer that to the other hosts, and unpack it
47 > in new logical volumes. I plan to script this so I do not have to do it
48 > manually every time - but that was before I knew ClusterSSH. When all is
49 > done and there is some time to take the servers down, I will reboot into
50 > the new system.
51 >
52 > Now I am thinking about a Gentoo installation instead.
53 >
54 > Pros:
55 > - Continuous updates, no downtime for upgrading, only when I decide to
56 > install a new kernel. This is really really cool. I fear the upgrade from
57 > Fedora 10 to 12 which has to be done soon.
58
59 Do not upgrade, especially not with a version jump of 2 or more. If you have a
60 lot of machines, I assume you are a decent shop, and that you have some form
61 of formal process for upgrades and changes.
62
63 What you do instead is a formal migration - copy the data off, reinstall,
64 restore data. If you can't afford to do that every six or twleve months, then
65 I have to ask - what the hell is the organization doing using a distro that is
66 unsupported after 12 months?
67
68 > - Some improvement in speed. Those machines do A LOT of numbercrunching,
69 > which jobs often lasting for days, so even small improvements would be
70 > nice.
71
72 Don't fool yourself. Unless you need what Google needs, there is very little
73 speed difference between Gentoo and Fedora. I/O improvements you need can be
74 easily gotten by fiddling the kernel tuning knobs.
75
76 > - Easier debugging. When things do not work, I think it's easier to dig
77 > into the problem. No fancy, but sometimes buggy GUIs hiding basic
78 > functionality.
79
80 Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Fedora does not require a GUI :-)
81
82 > - Heck, Gentoo is _cooler_ than typical distributions. And emerging with
83 > distcc on about 8*4 cores would be fun :)
84
85 Can't argue with that.
86
87 But that is your ego talking and the machines do not belong to you but to the
88 institute. Your ego has no place in that.
89
90 > - I am probably the only one who can administrate them.
91
92 This is not a benefit. It is a severe liability.
93
94 Where I work, I get fired for trying that :-(
95
96 > Cons:
97 > - If something will not work with this not so common (meta)distribution,
98 > people will say "always trouble with your Gentoo Schmentoo, it works fine
99 > in Fedora". Fedora is more mainstream, if something does not work there,
100 > then it's okay for the people to accept it.
101
102 Those same people are likely to say the same about linux vs windows.
103
104 > - I fear that big packages like Matlab are made for and tested on the
105 > typical distributions, and may have problems with the not-so-common
106 > Gentoo. I think someone here just had such a problem with Mathematica
107 > (which we do currently not use).
108
109 One or two persons had problems. Many many more replied that they had no
110 problems at all. In Fedora-land, the ratio is the same.
111
112 > - I am probably the only one who can administrate them. I think Gentoo is
113 > easier to maintain in the long run, but only when you take the time to
114 > learn it. With Fedora, you do not need much more than the 'yum install'
115 > command. There is no need to read complicated X.org upgrade guides and
116 > such.
117 >
118 > I think I already made my decision, but I am still interested in your
119 > opinions, maybe some of you are in a similar position and like to share
120 > your experiences. Whether I will be allowed to use Gentoo is another
121 > question, I guess my boss will not like my idea at first, and I am not
122 > even sure if he is right. But maybe I can test-install Gentoo on one
123 > machine in a chroot, and see if things work fine.
124
125 Depends how critical these machines are. If you want to change them just
126 because you feel like it, then I do not see how that can possibly be a valid
127 reason.
128
129 Remember, the institute's needs and desires trump yours every time
132 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com