From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo for many servers (was: Re: [gentoo-user] executing commands on lots of servers at once)
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:04:41
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 14 November 2009 19:36:06 Alex Schuster wrote:
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5
6 >>> clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge
7 >>> -avuND world everywhere
8 >> This is way cool. I just started using it on eight Fedora servers I am
9 >> administrating. Nice, now this is an improvement over my 'for $h in
10 >> $HOSTS; do ssh $h "yum install foo"; done' approach.
11 >
12 > I feel your pain :-)
13 >
14 > We used to have the same problem adding new admins to 87 machines. Now
15 > we have a bespoke provisioner that does it all.
16
17 Sorry, I just do not get 'bespoke provisioner'. Some sort of software,
18 like clusterssh? Or a person, one admin instead of many?
21 >> What do you guys think about using Gentoo for servers? At the institute
22 >> I partially work we chose Fedora. There is no special reason for that -
23 >> we already had some Fedora machines, the setup seemed to work, the
24 >> reputation was good, so we kept it. That was okay for me, why choose
25 >> many different environments and learn everything again. I mentioned
26 >> Gentoo, but did not really suggest to actually use it. Maybe I should
27 >> have.
28 >
29 > I'm a huge fan of Gentoo
30
31 Now who would have thought of that!
32
33 > and all my personal machines (except the new netbook have run it for the
34 > last 5 years.
35 >
36 > But I will never install Gentoo on a production server at work.
37 >
38 > Why?
39 >
40 > Because it is too time consuming, because no two machines are set up the
41 > same, because I can't trust that other admins used the flags they should
42 > have. So updates become a case of logging into 80+ machines individually
43 > and doing emerge world by hand. Gentoo allows you to customize things to
44 > the nth degree - that is it's strength - so people WILL use this one
45 > discriminating factor.
46 >
47 > If OTOH I had a server farm of 80+ machines, all identical, I'd put
48 > Gentoo on them in a flash. But I don't have that
49
50 Of our 8 machines, 7 are essentially the same and differ only in hard
51 drive space and CPU speed. The other machine is Intel, not AMD, and needs
52 different IDE drivers. At the moment it has a different initrd (I set up a
53 minimal fedora install to generate it after the cloned system did not
54 boot), the rest is - apart from some config files - identical.
55
56 So I would make sure that about everything is exactly the same, well,
57 maybe except for hostnames, udev net-persistent-rules, ssh keys... what
58 more?
59 The last, a little different machine is a problem though. With optimized
60 CFLAGS, this one would have to compile all stuff again, while for the
61 others I could use binpkgs. Updating them all with clusterssh should not
62 be much more work than updating a single one. Well, not completely true, I
63 would have the double work, as I would upgrade one server first to test if
64 there are problems, and then do it for the others. Maybe I could use the
65 special machine to test stuff, and then update all the others.
66
67 If they would differ, Gentoo would of course be too much work. I already
68 have this problem now... there is my desktop machine, my notebook running
69 a Gentoo VM, a second desktop machine at my other home, the living-room
70 machine of my flat share, the machine of a fried I also administrate, the
71 server of my flat share I need to set up again... and clusterssh is no
72 option here.
75 >> Now I am thinking about a Gentoo installation instead.
76 >>
77 >> Pros:
78 >> - Continuous updates, no downtime for upgrading, only when I decide to
79 >> install a new kernel. This is really really cool. I fear the upgrade
80 >> from Fedora 10 to 12 which has to be done soon.
81 >
82 > Do not upgrade, especially not with a version jump of 2 or more. If you
83 > have a lot of machines, I assume you are a decent shop, and that you
84 > have some form of formal process for upgrades and changes.
85
86 Not really, I think. We are not very professional I must admit. We have
87 two capable admins, but one is specialized in network stuff and Windows,
88 the other has to do with our big Sun servers, huuge storage systems and
89 such. They do not much about the Linux cluster. Another user sometimes
90 installs a package on a machine, but usually I do this. For me, it is not
91 my main job, I work only about ten hours per week there, mostly being some
92 100 km away.
93 We are a research institute. We do neurological research, PET and MRI
94 tomography. The Linux servers do number crunching, and of course they
95 should work and have good uptimes, but it is not as important as if we
96 were an ISP.
97
98 > What you do instead is a formal migration - copy the data off,
99 > reinstall, restore data.
100
101 Advice noted. Yes, this sounds like the better idea, giving a cleaner
102 setup. And if some things break I do not have to wonder if it was some
103 strange side effect from the upgrade process.
104
105 > If you can't afford to do that every six or twleve months, then
106 > I have to ask - what the hell is the organization doing using a distro
107 > that is unsupported after 12 months?
108
109 Well, I do not think this was considered much. One machine was set up with
110 Fedora for no specific reason, and we kept this distro then. This does not
111 sound too professional, I know. BTW, what distro would you suggest?
112
113 >> - Some improvement in speed. Those machines do A LOT of
114 >> numbercrunching, which jobs often lasting for days, so even small
115 >> improvements would be nice.
116 >
117 > Don't fool yourself. Unless you need what Google needs, there is very
118 > little speed difference between Gentoo and Fedora. I/O improvements you
119 > need can be easily gotten by fiddling the kernel tuning knobs.
120
121 I know the difference will not be huge, I see this as a little bonus -
122 nice if is there, but nothing really important. But in the comparison with
123 Ubuntu that came in a thread a few weeks ago, for some applications the
124 speed increase was about 30 percent. Although I would not necessarily
125 expect the difference to be noticeable, I would also not be surprised too
126 much if it were noticeable for some number-crunching applications if they
127 were optimized for the CPU.
128
129 >> - Easier debugging. When things do not work, I think it's easier to
130 >> dig into the problem. No fancy, but sometimes buggy GUIs hiding basic
131 >> functionality.
132 >
133 > Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Fedora does not require a GUI :-)
134
135 Right, and now that I think of it I do not use it anyway... Well, I did do
136 some things with netsetup (or whatever it's called), now that I know the
137 system a little better I edit things directly in /etc/sysconfig.
138 But the installer is a GUI, right? And if I remember this correctly, I
139 cannot even switch to a text console and do stuff there while installing.
140 Or I could, but did not have utilities like LVM. Something like that. I
141 have to use the installer and its capabilities.
142
143 >> - Heck, Gentoo is _cooler_ than typical distributions. And emerging
144 >> with distcc on about 8*4 cores would be fun :)
145 >
146 > Can't argue with that.
147 >
148 > But that is your ego talking and the machines do not belong to you but
149 > to the institute. Your ego has no place in that.
150
151 You're right, thanks for the reminder. But also note the smiley. I know my
152 boss (who is also into geeky things) would also like this - as long as it
153 would work.
154
155 >> - I am probably the only one who can administrate them.
156 >
157 > This is not a benefit. It is a severe liability.
158
159 That's why I listed it also on the contra side. Forgot to add a smiley
160 here, it was not meant seriously.
161 But when I think about it... the others also do not know much about
162 Fedora. Not even I do this well. There you use 'yum install <package>',
163 with Gentoo it's 'emerge <package>'. Daily work would be similar.
164 Upgrades would be a different thing, though. Gentoo's portage blockers
165 would not be understood easily, they would prefer to take the servers down
166 and just install the current Fedora distro. Which hopefully would work.
169 >> Cons:
170 >> - If something will not work with this not so common
171 >> (meta)distribution, people will say "always trouble with your Gentoo
172 >> Schmentoo, it works fine in Fedora". Fedora is more mainstream, if
173 >> something does not work there, then it's okay for the people to accept
174 >> it.
175 >
176 > Those same people are likely to say the same about linux vs windows.
177
178 Right, but we already have Linux, and we need it for our software. Gentoo
179 would not really be needed.
180
181 >> - I am probably the only one who can administrate them. I think Gentoo
182 >> is easier to maintain in the long run, but only when you take the time
183 >> to learn it. With Fedora, you do not need much more than the 'yum
184 >> install' command. There is no need to read complicated X.org upgrade
185 >> guides and such.
186 >>
187 >> I think I already made my decision, but I am still interested in your
188 >> opinions, maybe some of you are in a similar position and like to share
189 >> your experiences. Whether I will be allowed to use Gentoo is another
190 >> question, I guess my boss will not like my idea at first, and I am not
191 >> even sure if he is right. But maybe I can test-install Gentoo on one
192 >> machine in a chroot, and see if things work fine.
193 >
194 > Depends how critical these machines are. If you want to change them just
195 > because you feel like it, then I do not see how that can possibly be a
196 > valid reason.
197 >
198 > Remember, the institute's needs and desires trump yours every time
199
200 No, it's not just because I feel like it. The main advantages would be:
201 - No downtime between upgrades. Our jobs run for several days, every
202 downtime has to be planned in advance. People understand this, but they do
203 not like it. They would be very happy if this were not longer necessary.
204 And I would not fear that during the upgrade something breaks, and it
205 would take me long to fix it.
206 - I know this distro well, and this is not at all true about Fedora. I
207 know how to fix problems, I know how things work here. I would feel better
208 with Gentoo, more competent. It just does not feel so well to administrate
209 Fedora.
210
211 Thanks for your opinions, Alan. As always.
212
213 Wonko